2015’s big trend – visual storytelling
Did you know that ‘Storytelling’ is now a skill that you can endorse your connections with on LinkedIn? Perhaps, not so surprising – it’s a buzzword that’s been thrown about in various contexts for a few years now. More specifically, it’s the art of visual storytelling that you need to be paying attention to.
Just look at these statistics:
- The brain processes visual information 60,000 faster than text.
- Articles with images get 98% more views than articles without.
- Videos are share 12 times more than text or links, says Inc Magazine.
- According to the Social Science Research Network, 65% of the population is made up of visual learners – that’s almost 2 out of 3 of your audience or target market.
- People remember 10% of what they hear, 20% of what they read, and 80% of what they see and do.
Make no mistake, we are visually wired… and the big social networks saw it coming. That’s why Google bought YouTube, Facebook bought Instagram, Twitter bought Vine, and LinkedIn bought SlideShare – because they saw that visual content was attracting way more engagement from their users.
In 2015, visual storytelling needs to be the starting point for your communications strategy (whether for internal or external) and not just an afterthought.
Here are some fresh ideas:
- Showcase your company history (or any story with a “then” and “now” theme) with an illustrated timeline instead of a wordy read.
- After a big presentation, condense the key points into an infographic that you can distribute by email.
- Instead of printed brochures for your products or services, upload an explainer video to your website instead.
Ideaseed understands the power of visual storytelling. We’ve done some great work for clients, helping incorporate more visual elements like animation, infographics and big data visualisations (like graphics that update automatically – shoo-wow!).
You can find some some examples of our work here.
Get in touch with us to learn more.
* All images are